Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Experiencing Halo: The Prologue


First introduced in 2001 with Halo: Combat Evolved, the Halo franchise has become a cultural phenomenon spanning from its home in video games to novels, books, and short films. 

2010 marked the end of an era for the Halo franchise: Bungie, the creator and original developer of the Halo series, created their final game for franchise: Halo: Reach. Along with this, 2011 marks the ten year anniversary of Halo: Combat Evolved. I decided to take this as an opportunity to look back at the Halo series by playing all of the Bungie made games in order: Halo: Combat Evolved, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo 3: ODST, and ending with Halo: Reach.
I will be writing an article for each of the games reflecting on how I feel each game holds up in relation to the time they were released and the time I played them. I will also be hoping to gain insight as to why the Halo franchise has become so popular.

To give you some insight into my history with Halo, my views are somewhat mixed on the series. I have played all of the current generation games: Halo 3, Halo Wars, Halo 3: ODST, and Halo: Reach, but neither Halo: Combat Evolved or Halo 2. Halo 3 brought me into both the current generation and first-person shooters. As I've played more first-person shooters, I've come to feel that the Halo series has not always evolved well and has very primitive gameplay. At the same time I recognize the importance Halo had on bringing first-person shooters to consoles and I have definitely had a lot of fun playing the games.

I am nearing the end of Halo: Combat Evolved now. I will be starting Halo 2 soon after. Watch for Experiencing Halo features in the coming weeks and enjoy the tenth anniversary of Halo.

-Alex Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment